Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Power of Basic Compression

The Power of Basic Compression Massage



The Power of Basic Compression
When you go to massage school you are taught the basics.  Sometimes you are given a taste of techniques and concepts that are beyond the basics, but it is only a taste.  As you go out into the world as a professional massage therapist you take continuing education classes that discuss advanced techniques and concepts that will eliminate pain and solve all your clients’ problems.  So many of these techniques are wonderful and amazing; they provide you with an arsenal of bodywork tools that you can use to make dramatic changes within your clients.

Through my CEU business, Advanced Fundamentals Education, I offer these advanced techniques and concepts.  With my private massage clients I utilize these concepts to make drastic changes in their structure and pain symptoms.  In a recent seminar I had a student do some basic compressions on my back while we were on a break.  It was absolutely amazing how good it felt.  My tension level decreased drastically; I breathed deeper; and although temporarily foggy, I felt clearer and better ready to teach the rest of the day.

This simple 2 minute compression nearly knocked me out!  Here I am teaching advanced structural bodywork and I was blindsided by general, basic compression.  I readily admit I know very little in the grand scheme of the universe, so when I am “blindsided” by something I ask myself; “Self…What can I learn from this?”

What I learned from this experience is how important and powerful the “Basics” can be.  My belief in bodywork and life is the basics count.  For my structural bodywork classes I focus on what I consider the basics; biomechanics and movement possibilities.  Through my singular focus I forgot about the most basic aspects of massage therapy; Compassion and Touch.

Most massage therapists find themselves in this profession because they care about people.  They have a certain amount of compassion and desire to help others.  You learn anatomy and Swedish massage strokes in massage school.  You get out of school and start with your massage practice, providing compassionate touch to the public.  Sometimes, as a new therapist, or even a seasoned one, you begin to doubt your value because you don’t know the hottest new technique or have all the advanced trainings out there.  Sometimes you forget just how important the basics of what you do are.

I wanted to share this thought because I feel everyone forgets from time to time just how powerful the basics of what you do can be to someone.  Right before I received the basic compression on my back you could have asked me what I thought I needed and I would have said some thorough and specific structural work (which I do), but it never would have crossed my mind to say I need some compression.  Never.

Now I have learned from my experience and if you asked me today what I need I may still say specific structural work, but I’ll also ask for some basic compression.  It’s a wonderful thing to have an open mind and enjoy the fundamentals of what we do and why we do it.


 Take Care of Yourselves!
Michael Ames, LMT, CEU Provider
407-913-9755

Advanced Fundamentals offers online and live CEU credits for massage therapists.
Advanced Fundamentals is an NCBTMB & State of Florida Approved CEU Provider

No comments:

Post a Comment